embroidery thread vs craft cord?
becks
Skiller
becks
3 years, 4 months ago by becks
what do you prefer and why? I've been working exclusively with craft cord but I'm about to start an alpha with embroidery thread and I'm nervous I won't like the new string I got lol
lucass_
Bracelet King
lucass_
3 years, 4 months ago by lucass_
i personally like embroidery floss better. i like the way it feels, both working with it and the way the bracelet feels. but it’s more expensive which is annoying lol
unicorn_70
Bracelet King
unicorn_70
3 years, 4 months ago by unicorn_70
I like using craft cord for my alphas, idk why but it always makes my edges straighter. For normals I always use embroidery thread, so it really depends 😄. 😊
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 4 months ago by oceanknot
I like craft cord for base strings, but embroidery floss for knotting
abbey10
Bracelet King
abbey10
3 years, 4 months ago by abbey10
I like using embroidery floss, because it is softer, and I like the knot size it produces 👍
Margaron
Margaron
3 years, 4 months ago by Margaron
I'm a tight knotter so I prefer embroidery floss because craft cord snaps multiple times in the course of one bracelet for me. I also generally prefer the look of normal embroidery floss over craft cord. That being said, I'll still use craft cord if it's the only thing available.
Camo
Bracelet King
Camo
3 years, 4 months ago by Camo
I don’t know what you mean by craft cord. But what I used to use is friendship thread from dollarama... it was super cheap and fit my need as I wasn’t very good. But they would break often. My cousin suggested I use embroidery thread and I love it. It looks so much cleaner because it doesn’t fray and it doesn’t snap. I don’t remember what brand I am using right now but I got it from Amazon and it’s very nice. But I used to use dmc thread which I like better. Anyway I like embroidery thread and will suggest that to anyone : )
rollergirl
Bracelet King
rollergirl
3 years, 4 months ago by rollergirl
@becks I personally like using embroidery thread for all my normals. For alphas, I get this thicker kind of embroidery thread, that isn't really embroidery thread. Its called DMC Pearl Cotton Skein. I get both kinds at michaels/joanns. Craft cord is fine for base strings.
Chaty_Chun
Bracelet King
Chaty_Chun
3 years, 4 months ago by Chaty_Chun
First can i just say I love your profile pic your so pretty!

Second i prefer embroidery floss. But occasionally i would buy those giant sets from Walmart for friendship bracelets (with the twisted embroidery floss) so i have a ton of that kind that i use aswell.
imcmarie
Professional
imcmarie
3 years, 4 months ago by imcmarie
i use both but they both have pros and cons. (also some people say not to use both in the same bracelet but i do and have never had problems with it, it just depends)
embroidery floss- it looks way better to me and usually looks shinier and gives it something a lil extra but sometimes the little threads inside it separate and can make untying mistakes or grabbing the string harder. also sometimes the knots dont stay as tight while im working and until i tie another knot below i have to keep tightening. embroidery floss is also a bit more expensive.
craft chord- not shiny and doesnt look quite as nice but is was easier to use. you dont have to worry about missing a tiny strand when you grab your string and it holds its knots very well while you work. i have noticed though that while im knotting the craft chord gets tangled more than embroidery floss. this is also the cheaper option.
hope this helps!!
matsuri
Bracelet King
matsuri
3 years, 4 months ago by matsuri
Hi!
I work using both types of string since they both have good and bad points, as another poster said earlier.
When it comes to using embroidery floss (by which I assume we're all talking about the 6-strand floss), their color range is absolutely amazing! I've used DMC, Loops & Threads, Amazon, and JP Coats brands. They definitely all have a different feel but for sure DMC and Amazon have the smoothest finishes. If your main focus is color, I'd pick those for sure. Something I do want to mention is that if you make a mistake, undoing the knot might be a little challenging with this type of floss. There's always a chance that the 6-strands might start splitting on itself, making you undo the mistake only part way. I've had annoying experiences having to undo a knot, then following up with undoing a mini tangle that I accidentally created.

Craft cord might be a little limited in its color range, but it definitely handles well for beginners and those who use pins to undo knotting mistakes. They aren't usually as shiny as embroidery floss, but I do like the uniformity that the knots make in a finished project. I've used both DMC and Loops & Threads brands when it comes to craft cord. I absolutely love the fact that these don't split apart while you're working on a project with them.

It might be more cost effective to get a bulk order of embroidery floss from Amazon, but Loops & Threads has lots of multipacks that work fairly well for a budget (and definitely come with more than 2 skeins per color). If you have a need for the basic every-bracelet colors, try a multipack from L&T (they sell them in both craft cord and floss form). If you need some in-between shades for more specific projects, the Amazon bulk pack might work better for you. 👍
KimberlyR
Beginner
KimberlyR
3 years, 3 months ago by KimberlyR
I personally use the embroidery floss and I also recommend it to you because its knot size is also good. For <a href='https://embroik.com/best-embroidery-machine'>machine embroidery</a>
you can use different threads to get started.